Many states allow the spearing of rough fish, but Michigan is unique, one of the few places that permits taking gamefish with a spear. There are reams of exclusions protecting primarily trout waters and boundary waters, but for the most part Michigan allows northern pike and muskellunge to be speared through the ice. Read the full story by The Toledo Blade.
Great Lakes Daily News
Latest Daily News
- Democrat criticizes EPA over access to water summit
- No flooding this year, but Lake Ontario is still high
- Turtle recovery efforts slow and steady
- What happened to Northwest Flight 2501? Shipwreck hunters resume search
- Ship that landed on D-Day, then hauled autos, now a museum in Muskegon
- Chicago beaches open Friday, but is Lake Michigan clean enough to swim in?
- Asian carp managers issue action plan for 2018
- Scientists say mussels carpet Lake Michigan bottom
- Emergency order formally bans dropping anchor in Straits of Mackinac
- Judge says he may back away from Lake Erie algae lawsuit
- First petroleum shipments in a decade leave Port of Milwaukee this spring, raising concerns
- Scientists on the hunt for blood-sucking sea lampreys in metro Detroit