In 2021, the U.S. Coast Guard announced it no longer needed the lighthouse that was built in 1910 at the end of the north breakwater of Duluth’s shipping canal. Rethos, a St. Paul-based historic preservation nonprofit, was awarded the Duluth Harbor North Pierhead Light by the National Park Service last month. Read the full story by Minnesota Public Radio.
Great Lakes Daily News
Latest Daily News
- Many wetlands will lose federal protections after U.S. Supreme Court ruling
- Great Lakes records fourth lowest ice cover in 50 years. How will that continue to impact us?
- Aquarium unveils renderings for Great Lakes 360 facility
- Massive freighter issues mayday on Lake Erie after engine fire
- Cleveland expands network of “smart buoys” to monitor Lake Erie water quality
- Be careful on the water this weekend as Lake Erie is only 51 degrees
- Not just the waves: the dangerous cold of Lake Superior
- St. Louis River water quality project launched by NRRI, others
- Michigan man charged in Sleeping Bear Dunes river tampering
- Canada Plans $1.8 Billion Investment for New Coast Guard Small Vessels
- Buttigieg: ‘It’s about time’ federal funds approved for Port of Green Bay expansion
- EPA creates $30M grant program to advance Great Lakes projects in underserved communities