Parking was hard to come by Friday night as people made their way into the Soo Locks Park to watch the first freighter officially open the 2023 shipping season in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. A few hundred people packed the viewing platform at midnight to photograph, video, and talk about the 1004′ x 105′ Edwin H. Gott slowly working its way into the Poe Lock. Read the full story by Soo Today.
Great Lakes Daily News
Latest Daily News
- Many wetlands will lose federal protections after U.S. Supreme Court ruling
- Great Lakes records fourth lowest ice cover in 50 years. How will that continue to impact us?
- Aquarium unveils renderings for Great Lakes 360 facility
- Massive freighter issues mayday on Lake Erie after engine fire
- Cleveland expands network of “smart buoys” to monitor Lake Erie water quality
- Be careful on the water this weekend as Lake Erie is only 51 degrees
- Not just the waves: the dangerous cold of Lake Superior
- St. Louis River water quality project launched by NRRI, others
- Michigan man charged in Sleeping Bear Dunes river tampering
- Canada Plans $1.8 Billion Investment for New Coast Guard Small Vessels
- Buttigieg: ‘It’s about time’ federal funds approved for Port of Green Bay expansion
- EPA creates $30M grant program to advance Great Lakes projects in underserved communities