- Great Lakes Pelagic Bird Stakeholder Engagement Workshop Summary | Summer 2014
- The Potential Economic Impact of Offshore Wind Energy in the Great Lakes | October 2013
- Offshore Wind Energy: Understanding Impacts on Great Lakes Fishery and Other Aquatic Resources | Spring 2013
- State of the Science: An Assessment of Research on the Ecological Impacts of Wind Energy in the Great Lakes Region | October, 2011
- Best Practices for Sustainable Wind Energy Development in the Great Lakes Region Document | Online Toolkit | July, 2011
- The Role of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway Ports in the Advancement of the Wind Energy Industry | September, 2010
- Great Lakes Wind Collaborative Prospectus | September, 2010
- State and Provincial Land-Based Wind Farm Siting Policy in the Great Lakes Region: Summary and Analysis | January, 2010
- Offshore Siting Principles and Guidelines for Wind Development on the Great Lakes | October, 2009
- Preparation for Offshore Wind in Lake Michigan: Information Solicitation Options for Michigan and Wisconsin | August, 2009
News / Articles
- Great Lakes transmission system helps offshore wind energy proposals – TransmissionHub, April 2013
GLWC Member Products
The GLWC member products listed below does not imply that these products are endorsed by the GLWC.
The Nature Conservancy
- Wind Energy: Great Lakes Regional Guidelines November 2011
Michigan State University Land Policy Institute and Michigan Sea Grant
The following factsheets, created by MSU’s Land Policy Institute (LPI) and the Great Lakes Commission (July, 2011), are a result of the LPI’s Perception of the Impact of Wind Energy Generation in Coastal Communities integrated assessment project funded by Michigan Sea Grant. Each factsheet examines various aspects of Michigan coastal residents’ views on wind energy.
University of Michigan School of Natural Resources and Environment
- A Non-market, Stated Preference Approach to Measure Community Perceptions in Two Lake Michigan Regions April, 2013
- Transmission-Related Policy Options to Facilitate Offshore Wind in the Great Lakes April, 2011
University at Buffalo Law School Environment and Development Clinic
- Water Dependent Uses and Great Lakes Offshore Wind Under the Laws of New York State February, 2010
- The Public Trust Doctrine and Offshore Wind in the Great Lakes May, 2010
- Wind Turbines in the Great Lakes: “Water Dependency” and Federal Regulations February, 2010
- Wind Farm Siting and Cumulative Impact Analysis in the Great Lakes May, 2010
Biodiversity Research Institute
- Pelagic Waterbird Surveys in the Great Lakes, 2012-2014: Minimizing Conflicts with Future Offshore Wind Development January, 2015
- Reducing the Adverse Effects of Offshore Wind Development on Waterbirds in the Great Lakes: A Proposed Four-Step Approach May, 2014
U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Offshore Wind Market and Economic Analysis: 2014 Annual Market Assessment August, 2014
- Offshore Wind Market and Economic Analysis October, 2013
- Offshore Wind Market and Economic Analysis February, 2013
- U.S. Offshore Wind Manufacturing and Supply Chain Development February, 2013
- Future of wind energy in the Great Lakes debated by regional coalition September 2012
- New studies, innovations to be released at Great Lakes Wind Collaborative Annual Meeting September 2012
- State-fed agreement announced to enhance coordination of offshore wind projects in the Great Lakes March 2012
- Great Lakes Wind Collaborative 4th Annual Meeting: Transmission essential to enable Great Lakes states to meet renewable energy goals September 2011
- Best Practices for Sustainable Wind Energy Development in the Great Lakes Region July 2011
- Great Lakes Wind Collaborative recognized in national award June 2011
- Obama administration hosts Great Lakes Offshore Wind Workshop in Chicago with Great Lakes Wind Collaborative October 2010
- Great Lakes-St. Lawrence ports advance wind energy October 2010
- Picture of wind energy generation in the Great Lakes takes shape in Cleveland September 2010
- Offshore Siting Principles and Guidelines for Wind Development on the Great Lakes Released November 2009
- Best Practices in Great Lakes wind energy to be advanced through new Wind Collaborative project May 2009
- GLWC Response to DOE’s Wind and Water Power Program’s Request for Information July, 2010
This document is the GLWC Response to the DOE Reqest for Information (RFI), DE-FOAEE0000384, regarding the plan to create a new research and development program aimed at stimulating responsible, cost-effective offshore wind development in the United States.
- Letter to Brigadier General John W Peabody, Commander, Great Lakes and Ohio River Division, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers June, 2009
This letter is regarding the need for a federal comprehensive environmental review process for the siting and permitting of offshore wind energy facilities in the Great Lakes.
- Letter to Phyllis Yoshida March, 2009
On March 26, 2009, the Collaborative sent a letter to Ms. Phyllis Yoshida, the Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Energy Cooperation in the Office of Policy and International Affairs of the U.S. Department of Energy. The letter expressed the Collaborative’s interest in participating in the U.S.-Canada Clean Energy Dialogue, which is being established to encourage binational development of clean energy technologies to reduce greenhouse gases and combat climate change.
- Letters to President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Stephen Harper February, 2009
The Collaborative sent letters to President Barack Obama and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on February 13, 2009 alerting them to the work of the Collaborative and urging them to consider the Collaborative as a regional partner in advancing the development of wind energy. The letter was also sent to the governors, senators, and congressional representatives of the eight Great Lakes states, as well as the premiers and Members of Parliament from Ontario and Québec. The U.S. Secretary of Energy as well as the Ministers of Natural Resources, Fisheries and Oceans, and the Environment Canada were also copied.
- Renewable and Clean Energy. September 11, 2012, Great Lakes Commission.
- A Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement for Offshore Wind Energy in the Great Lakes. February 23, 2010, Great Lakes Commission.
- Support for the 2009 Annual AWEA Windpower Conference in Chicago. February 24, 2009, Great Lakes Commission.
- Support for extension of the Federal Production Tax Credit and Federal Energy Efficiency Policy . October 7, 2008, Great Lakes Commission.