Great Lakes Sediment and Nutrient Reduction Program
Apply for Funding
Application Deadline: May 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm EDT.
For program year 2020, two grant options are being offered: watershed-scale projects and site-specific projects. Grants provided under this year’s program will focus on effective efforts to reduce phosphorus contributions to waters within the Great Lakes Basin and other efforts to achieve measure of progress under the GLRI Action Plan III, including restoration of streambanks and shoreline within the Basin. The maximum request for each application will be capped at no more than $200,000. Applicants must be nonfederal units of government, tribes, or incorporated nonprofit organizations. A 25 percent match will be required of each project.
The due date for applications is 5:00 p.m. EDT on May 18, 2020. Applications will be reviewed and assessed by the program’s Task Force made up of a representative from each Great Lakes state, plus representatives from NRCS and U.S. EPA. Final decisions on funded projects are anticipated in early summer 2020. Selected projects would begin on October 1, 2020 (with some potential for an earlier start) and may be up to three years in duration.
A webinar for applicants was offered on March 3, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. Eastern to discuss funding priorities and the application process, receive tips for submitting competitive proposals, and ask questions of Great Lakes Commission staff. For more information, please contact Ken Gibbons, Program Specialist at [email protected] or 734-971-9135.
- Download and review the 2020 Request for Proposals (RFP).
- Download the Grant Application Template. Save the completed template on your computer as a .doc or .docx file. You will be prompted to upload your completed application file within the Web Application Form, below.
- Download Grant Application Summary & Insurance Certification. Save the completed and signed file as a PDF. You will be prompted to upload the file within the Web Application Form, below.
- Download the appropriate GLSNRP Budget Form. If your organization has a federally-approved Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (NICRA), download the GLSNRP Budget Form – NICRA. Organizations that do not have a current NICRA should download the GLSNRP Budget Form – De Minimis Indirect. Save the completed budget form on your computer as a .xls or .xlsx file. You will be prompted to upload your completed budget form (and any corresponding NICRA files) within the Web Application Form, below.
- Complete the Web Application Form and upload all required files. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided within the form for the Project Contact once your application has been submitted.
Additional Applicant Resources:
- Sample Grant Contract. Applicants selected to receive a grant award will be required to enter into a project contract with the Great Lakes Commission.
- HUC 12-Digit Code Lookup Tool
- Region 5 and STEPL Spreadsheet Models (for estimating particulate phosphorus reductions)
If you have trouble uploading your proposal files or completing the Web Application Form, please contact Ken Gibbons at the Great Lakes Commission at [email protected], 734-971-9135.