Great Lakes Wind Collaborative: Project Archive
This project has ended. Archived project materials are available below.
Managed by the Great Lakes Commission, The Great Lakes Wind Collaborative (GLWC) was active between 2008 and 2013 as a multi-sector coalition of wind energy stakeholders working to facilitate the sustainable development of wind power in the binational Great Lakes region. The GLWC is no longer active.
The GLWC reached across sectors and disciplines to identify and address the technical, environmental, regulatory, educational and financial issues related to the deployment of wind energy resources. Members included representatives from a wide spectrum of interests throughout the Great Lakes region. The GLWC strived for a broad, balanced membership. Members provided diverse perspectives and represented a wide array of societal sectors and work to achieve the purpose of the group.
Publications and Resources
- Great Lakes Wind Atlas interactive map | The Great Lakes Wind Atlas is a data discovery tool for assessing wind development issues and opportunities from a geographic perspective.
- Great Lakes Pelagic Bird Stakeholder Engagement Workshop Summary | Summer 2014
- The Potential Economic Impact of Offshore Wind Energy in the Great Lakes | October 2013
- Offshore Wind Energy: Understanding Impacts on Great Lakes Fishery and Other Aquatic Resources | Spring 2013
- State of the Science: An Assessment of Research on the Ecological Impacts of Wind Energy in the Great Lakes Region | October, 2011
- Best Practices for Sustainable Wind Energy Development in the Great Lakes Region | July, 2011
- The Role of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway Ports in the Advancement of the Wind Energy Industry | September, 2010
- Great Lakes Wind Collaborative Prospectus | September, 2010
- State and Provincial Land-Based Wind Farm Siting Policy in the Great Lakes Region: Summary and Analysis | January, 2010
- Offshore Siting Principles and Guidelines for Wind Development on the Great Lakes | October, 2009
- Preparation for Offshore Wind in Lake Michigan: Information Solicitation Options for Michigan and Wisconsin | August, 2009
- Future of wind energy in the Great Lakes debated by regional coalition September 2012
- New studies, innovations to be released at Great Lakes Wind Collaborative Annual Meeting September 2012
- State-fed agreement announced to enhance coordination of offshore wind projects in the Great Lakes March 2012
- Great Lakes Wind Collaborative 4th Annual Meeting: Transmission essential to enable Great Lakes states to meet renewable energy goals September 2011
- Best Practices for Sustainable Wind Energy Development in the Great Lakes Region July 2011
- Great Lakes Wind Collaborative recognized in national award June 2011
- Obama administration hosts Great Lakes Offshore Wind Workshop in Chicago with Great Lakes Wind Collaborative October 2010
- Great Lakes-St. Lawrence ports advance wind energy October 2010
- Picture of wind energy generation in the Great Lakes takes shape in Cleveland September 2010
- Offshore Siting Principles and Guidelines for Wind Development on the Great Lakes Released November 2009
- Best Practices in Great Lakes wind energy to be advanced through new Wind Collaborative project May 2009